Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hinckley Rugby Club | Hinckley RFC app


Colts 2017/18 - Match centre

Hinckley Rugby Club | Hinckley RFC
Syston Colts
Sat 17 Feb 14:15 - Cup Full time

Colts leave it late to see off Syston in the Cup replay.


Colts are now just one game away from a return in the County Cup Final @ Welford Road.

Hinckley Colts left it late to finally see off Syston RFC in a nail biting Cup 1/4 replay.

Hinckley came out the blocks firing on all cylinders and were first to cross the white wash within the first 5 minutes when Babb forced his way over from close range, Reilly converted for a 7-0 lead. It was all Syston from here on in as wave after wave of attacks put Hinckley on the back foot for the remainder of the half but once again the home sides defence was outstanding to keep the visitors at bay, this spell of relentless pressure also saw the visitors turn down kickable penalties which ultimately cost them and when Hinckley finally got their hands on the ball the backs broke away moving the ball swiftly through the hands for Horsler to finish under the post and against the run of play somehow saw themselves 14pts without reply, however, Syston finally broke through Hinckley's defence on the stroke of half time when their 10 dived over from short range to finish the half Hinckley 14 Syston 5.

The visitors continued the second half where they left the first putting Hinckley under immense pressure resulting in an unconverted score to reduce the deficit to 4pts, a penalty shortly followed to reduce the gap to just a 1pt ball game 14-13. Syston now with their tails up scored again as their centre ran a great line to cross, the kickable conversion missing once again and the visitors were ahead for the first time in the match 14-18. Hinckley then steadied the ship as Syston seemed to run out of steam squandering numerous attacking opportunities as they continually kicked the ball back to Hinckley. The home side kept ball in hand and with the clock in the red and in the shadows of their own posts worked their way up the pitch phase after phase and amazingly without making a single mistake found themselves in the opposition 22, this outstanding effort by the lads was also helped by the visitors ill discipline at the breakdown, the referees right arm must of been killing him as it never went down for almost a good 10mins. This relentless attacking and excellent ball retention finally paid off as the Syston defence went AWOL as the ball was shipped wide to Sly who found himself in acres of space to cross and seal the Victory, conversion missed (which didn't matter) Hinckley secured the win 19-18 and a Semi Final place and are now just one win away from returning to Welford Road. Once again this talented bunch never know when their beat and continue to battle to the bitter end(NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors